Chock-full of Faith

on March 9, 2012

I just wanted to follow up with everyone on my visit to my oncologist on Wednesday. She put together a treatment plan that would use chemotherapy to help shrink the tumors and would alleviate any symptoms from the cancer that I might have down the road. She also explained that treating stage 4 cancer is like treating diabetes. You can manage the symptoms of diabetes with insulin but it is something that you will have the rest of your life. In the same way, the treatments I would have for any symptoms of my cancer would be something I would likely need for the rest of my life. She said I could take a break from the chemo for a couple of months from time to time, but that the tumors will most likely grow back and then I would be back on the chemo to shrink them.

However, currently, I feel very few symptoms and have a lot of hope from the prayers and nutritional changes I’ve been making.  She agreed to let me continue doing what I’ve been doing and check the status of my tumors in two months. I was so thankful and happy that she agreed to this. I could have kissed her! Yesterday (Thursday) I met with a nutritional doctor to help me determine the best way to build up my immune system over the coming months. I have also read many books regarding nutritional approaches to treating cancer. I am currently taking more supplements than anyone I know but I feel very good about this approach and I’m so thankful to be able to treat the cancer this way. I’m praying my tumors will continue to shrink and disappear through prayer and nutrition.

On a funnier side note, as we the left nutritionist yesterday, walking out with a bag chock-full of supplements, Eric said he felt like he was in a scene from the movie “The Princess Bride” when two men take their friend Westley to see Miracle Max.  Even though they thought Westley was dead, it turned out he was only “mostly” dead according to Miracle Max, so he made a special pill to bring him back to life.  As the two friends left with the pill in their hands and their friend Westley over their shoulders, Miracle Max and his wife Valerie are seen standing at the door waving. Valerie then leans into Miracle Max and says, “Think it’ll work?” to which Miracle Max says, “It would take a miracle!” and they just keep waving. (It’s a great movie if you haven’t seen it.) Apparently, that’s how Eric felt leaving the nutritionist yesterday with all these pills, smiling and waving and thinking “It would take a miracle!” Thankfully, he makes me laugh. I credit him for most of the wrinkles on my face! I told Eric I feel like some people think I am like Westley….that I’m “mostly” dead. But I just want you all to know I’m alive and well. I continue to eat very healthy and exercise (either walking, running, weights, or stretching). I also know it probably will take a miracle to cure me from this disease. But thanks to your prayers, I’m chock-full of faith, too!

So thank you for adding your prayers to mine! I do believe they make a difference. A psalm I read last night that encouraged me is Psalm 121.

I lift up my eyes to the hills—
   where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
   the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—
   he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
   will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD watches over you—
   the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
   nor the moon by night.

The LORD will keep you from all harm—
   he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
   both now and forevermore.

I am very much aware that my help comes from the Lord. But I also know that God works through His people and I have seen Him working through many of you. Whether it’s a word of encouragement, a prayer, a card, or a gift, I sense God working through you all to encourage and strengthen me. You are being the hands, feet and body of Christ to me. So thank you again for everything. May God bless you back abundantly!!

15 responses to “Chock-full of Faith

1. Carrie Brown says:

I am so glad things sound so hopeful and positive. I truly believe the miracle will come. I have seen it and we must keep the faith. Do you have an e-mail address? I would love to e-mail you a few things. Thanks.

Love, Carrie

2. Janet Kotecki says:

Lana. Think of yöu and your beautiful family so often. We continue to pray for your health!

3. Shirley Paul says:

Dear Lana
    Praise God for His work in your body, your life, your faith… and keep laughing, that’s healing too. A plaque in kitchen from my friend many years ago reads, ‘I don’t believe in miracles. I rely upon them.’ AMEN.
    God bless and keep you strong in Him.
    Shirley

I always look forward to your next update. This has been a particularly encouraging note. I am so glad that you have a trusting and sound relationship with your doctor. It is critical for your future well being. I can see that you are doing all the necessary research to stay on top of the situation and it sounds as if the doctor agrees with your approach. I would like to think that under the circumstances you are doing as much as you can – on the physical, the mental/psychological and the spiritual sides.
    As always my prayers are with you and your family.
    With fond regards,
    MALLORCA

5. mitchf2 says:

I love your positive attitude, and if I could offer you one little piece of advice it is this: the tumours are not “your” tumours. They are the devil’s, growing in YOUR body. It is he who comes only to steal, kill and destroy. The devil loves us to take ownership of HIS JUNK… to him that gives it the right to be there. We know that the devil’s junk has NO PLACE in a believer, but I have found the enemy to be very legalistic.

A few years ago I read an amazing book by Dodie Osteen about her battle with cancer – “Healed of Cancer”. I would recommend it, particularly for the healing scriptures she lists!

Continuing to lift you up in prayer

Michelle
    PERTH, Western Australia

Lana, I really admire not only your implicit Faith, but the fact that you are seeking knowlege of other things that will help you, and that you continue excercising. My prayers are always with you.
    God Bless!

7. Jennifer Gracie says:

Lana, God bless you and your family. Re nutrition and cancer this website may be of help http://www.gawler.org/ . The foundation was started by Ian Gawler who survived an aggressive cancer as a young man. He is of an Anglican background and his approach is holistic. Praying for you and your family.

Jennifer
    Victoria, Australia

8. Hi Lana Thank you and your husband for being such an inspiration to others. I look forward to this days thought, especially the weekend sermons. I know I fall short in so many areas of my life, but I know we mustn’t worry and leave everything in God’s hands – he won’t let us suffer beyond what we can bear. We all have choices to make and I would like to share a link to a story which I feel shows how being positive can have such a dramatic effect on our lives – also it has some humour thrown in which always makes us feel better. Take care, Michele, Shetland Islands,

inspireme.net/inspirational-stories/positive_thinking.htm

9. Ann Hamill says:

Hi Lana – after reading your blog today (in detail) there were some things said which struck a chord with me.
    Almost 5 years ago (on 26th of this month of March) God chose to take our precious son (age 25) to be with Him – after a life lived in dedication to Christ, for which we are very thankful.

Psalm 121 always meant so much to me as my Psalm of Assurance but I read it constantly during those months after David went to be with the Lord.
    Psalm 139 has also meant so much to me and what you said ” .we’re all on a path towards life. The truth is, we’re all on a path towards death, and have been ever since the day we were born (even the day we were conceived…) ” – we have the comfort and assurance that EVERYTHING about us has been as meticulously planned by God as the death of His Son Jesus on the cross. God knows all about us even BEFORE we are conceived and HE knows the exact second we will leave this earth.
    I am glad you made the statement: ‘Lana has chosen to live like she’s going to live
    Lana’s not afraid of dying. She just wants to live’
    We all want to live, not because we prefer earth to Heaven, but we know that those we leave behind will miss us so painfully.
    The choice is ours – we all know we are dying – one out of one dies! – and we know we won’t fully begin to live until we see Jesus BUT we are only human with family ties.
    Your choice is GOOD – live like you are going to live. The outcome is in the Lord’s hands.

Each day is indeed a gift from God (as you say the ‘present’) and I know you will use every second to God’s glory.

Something which I hope will help you – our son sadly died very suddenly (after a very short unexpected illness), people have cancer and have been told they may not have long to live – but ANY ONE of us could be taken out of this world at any second – so we ALL need to live each day as if it is going to be our last – in surrender to God – being inspirational to others and leaving a legacy of having been influential in seeing others won for Christ. We can only do this with God’s help.

I know you and Eric live like this. Please be assured of my prayers for you and your amazing family.

‘In Christ ALONE my hope is found’

God bless you. With much love in Him, because He first loved us.
    Ann (Northern Ireland)

10. Ann Hamill says:

I forgot to say I SO enjoyed Marilyn’s playing of You Raise Me Up – it ministered to me.
    (I am a music teacher of piano and singing so I really appreciated her gift from God)
    Ann

11. Tim Taylor says:

Your posts are so encouraging Lana. In addition to running a small business, I serve as treasurer at my local Lutheran Church in Florida. I sometimes have the occasion to go by the church during the week at which time I pray at the Holy altar of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus for my family and others in need. Since reading your posts, I have also been praying for you by name and pray that God will completely heal you of this dreaded disease. Our God is an awesome God and He will bee with you always! As it is written in Hewbrews 13:5, I will never leave you nor forsake you. What a wonderful promise from our Lord! May God continue to bless you and your family.

Tim Taylor

12. ky sandelin says:

Dear Lana, I grew up with your husband, his brother craig and i were in the same class. I was delighted when i stumbled upon your ministry always so encouraging to find other believers. I havnt been paying any attention to the ranch messages for the past month and was shocked to find out what’s been happening in your lives. i have sat here at my computor crying my eyes out in prayer and praise and awe as i’ve read of your journey in the last month. I am so taken by your incredible faith, courage, spunk, humor and joy in the midst of all this. please know I will be following your journey and praying for and with you. i am believing with all my heart for your complete, total and MIRACULOUS healing for all to see how great and powerful and mighty our Father is!!!! with love from Montana…ky

13. Edna says:

Dear Lana, Only Him knows everything and i don’t sometimes understand why this sickness must happen. But as i look into His word, in everything has purpose and He promised that He will not leave you nor forsake you. He will be with you all the way as He carried the cross all the way to the calvary for our sake. I do believe for i have been through myself also and He was true. I have been praying for your healing. God has a perfect plan for your life. May the peace and love of God continually flows into your life.

14. Richard says:

Daily prayers are being sent Heavenward for you coast-to-coast. God’s awesome glory is already at work in and through your wonderful spirit of love, courage and devotion to our Heavenly Father! Your unwavering strength and faith is truly a blessing to many men and women following your blog. God is utilizing your life in His ultimate plan of kingdom building – of which there is no higher honor! God bless you Lana!

15. Gasu Daniel Kobla says:

Hi Lana, Here in Ghana custom demands we ask how you’re doing even when we may know. I know you are doing fine but I’ll still ask how are you doing?
    We know that God has a reason for bringing things our way. I believe mostly to prepare us for something awesome.
    I believe in a few months you will go back to take your your tests and you probably will be told you were misdiagnosed. Please keep your test results properly, We will wave it in thanks giving to YAWEH for the victory. I’m glad to also hear that you have the chance to try natural non-toxic nutritional options to reversing this condition. Finally I want to say that God made healing for us,
    “by his strips we are healed”. Receive your healing in the name of Jesus.