Only one thing is needed

on May 6, 2012

We had a fabulous time in New York celebrating our 23rd anniversary! We ate at some great restaurants, enjoyed some wonderful shows (absolutely loved the Lion King), spent a lot of time in Central Park (my favorite part of NYC), and saw the 9/11 Memorial. I also really enjoyed visiting Brooklyn Tabernacle and Hillsong NYC, both great contemporary churches with incredible worship and pastors who delivered inspiring messages. If you are ever in NYC, I would highly recommend visiting these churches. In fact, we arrived a little early for Hillsong Church and the line was literally half way around the block, so arrive early.

Regarding my health, while some people leave their heart in San Francisco I decided to leave my hair in New York! Well, most of it…it just looks a lot thinner. 😦 I came down with the flu on Thursday night and had to cancel my chemo for Friday (Eric had the same thing three days before me so I know it was the flu). I’m just now getting my strength back and feeling better. One of the nicer things about the flu is that there is really nothing you can do but lay in bed and talk to Jesus. It reminds me of this story in Luke 10:38-42…

As Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to Him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Most of the time I feel my life is so busy and I think more about the preparations that need to be made for whatever is going on that it’s hard to find the time to sit and be with Jesus. But when I’m sick and laying in bed talking to Jesus I realize how true His words really are….”but only one thing is needed.” Mary choose what was better and nothing can take away from her time with Jesus. Things like this really help me focus on what matters most. It really helped to listen to scriptures that I have on CD or online at YouVersion.com

My son Lucas is coming home from Australia on Tuesday for a few weeks so we are looking forward to having our family all together for awhile in one place. Please pray for my continued recovery from the flu and that it doesn’t spread to anyone else and that it doesn’t disrupt the effectiveness of the chemo.

I hope you all find time to sit at Jesus’ feet this week…without getting the flu. 😉 Thanks again for your prayers. Love you all.

14 responses to “Only one thing is needed

I pray that your flu goes away as quickly as it came on and that it doesn’t affect your chemo. I pray for your recovery!

Remember FROG

F-ULLY
    R-ELY
    O-N
    G-OD

God bless you!
    Judi Byrne

2. jinu mathew says:

Get well soon……God will surely give you strenth to come out of this Sickness.Will remember you in our prayers…

3. arjan overwater says:

Dear Lana, Mary Jo and I will pray for you to recover fully! Arjan

4. John says:

We love you too!, Always inspiring

John

As always you are in my prayers whether it be for flu or cancer.
    Your message today is truly inspiring – how shocking that we always fill our diaries with all the “unnecessary” things around us to the exclusion of the MOST IMPORTANT activity we shjould be engaged in.
    Take care of yourself and please keep in touch. Hair, after all is not that important !
    Fond regards,

It’s always refreshing to hear from you as you always have ‘a word’ to share with us. We will continue to pray for you and your family. And I pray you have a great time with your son when he visits. We know we serve a good God and He is in control of all, and we trust Him to show His glory in your situation.
    Love & God bless.
    Taiwo

7. Ruth (Mitchel) James says:

I’m just so happy to hear that you and Eric had a wonderful time in New York despite the brush that Eric had with the flu at the end. Just know that we continue in prayer for your complete healing, and that we are deeply thankful for every encouragement that you receive along the way. Also know that you are a tremendous encouragement to us as you manifest and speak in great faith through your experiences along this journey. We trust that this will be an uplifting week for you and your family as you all reunite with Lucas and just enjoy your time together.

Ruth

8. Leslie Yendro says:

Lana – I hope you recover soon! Enjoy Mothers Day with your family.

9. Laura Price says:

I join Judith’s pray er for you….
    Where two or more are gathered….
    So glad you had a great time in NYC! Tell Eric that I said he doesn’t need to share everything!
    We love you two!
    With HUGS,
    Laura

10. barbararoot says:

This is my third attempt to reply. So pleased you had a nice anniversary trip to New York! Stub and I had a great trip there 50 years ago. Prayed all day for Lucas on his flight home–also prayed for the flu to “fly” away from all the Elders and that you have a wonderful month together now that the family is complete once again–also praying for the cancer to clear, Lana. Your blogs are so encouraging. Happy Mother’s Day with love from Australia, Barb

11. Juanita says:

I am praying that you have a speeding recovery from the flu and the cancer. And that it doesn’t spread to any other family members or friends. Hope you have a wonderful Mother’s day. Blessings to you and your family,

12. Jim Brown says:

Happy Anniversary Lana and Eric. Wow, twenty-three years! I remember that day and I’m so blessed to know you. Cynthia and I pray for you often.

13. Joan and Kevin says:

Lana and Eric we continue to pray for your sweet family. I keep checking the blog for more updates since ny. We love and want to know how to care for you besides praying. Hugs to all.

14. Juanita says:

Glad you had a wonderful anniversary trip to NY. My prayers are with you as you do the chemo for your cancer. Hoping for a very speedy recovery from the cancer and the flu. May Gods blessing be with you always.