Renewing My Youth

on June 19, 2012

Hi everyone! I wish I had better information to update you all on.  My MRI reports from last week came back inconclusive, meaning they still can’t tell why I’ve lost strength in my right shoulder.  The good news is that it’s not from a torn rotator cuff, and not a problem in my neck or my brain.  It may still just be the side effects of the first chemo agent, although they thought that would be unusual, too.  So my doctor has set up appointments this week with an orthopedic doctor for my shoulder and also with a neurologist to see if they can offer any help for the pain in my legs.

In the mean time, they’ve just started me on a new chemical agent that I take orally now. This medicine is supposed to be less toxic to the nerves, so they hope that might help with these other symptoms as well.  One of the other nice things about having an oral chemo is it saves a few hours of my time each week (instead of doing an infusion) and I may not have to go in as frequently to have my bloodwork done.  I take it for seven days straight then get seven days off (repeat).

My current prayer requests are that the doctors have wisdom in knowing what to do for my legs and shoulder and that I experience no new side effects from this new medicine. Also, I have just been having more pain throughout my body and I would like some relief without having to take lots of pain medication. One of the pain meds I tried this week made me ill, so I’m back to ibuprofen.

God continually encourages me through His word. A verse that I often meditate on is Psalm 103:1-5:

“Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits— who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.”

I love that it says God forgives ALL our sins and heals ALL our diseases.  I also love the idea that God can renew my youth again, as I’m going to my 30-year high school class reunion this weekend!  I’m looking forward to seeing many old friends.  Thanks for your prayers, as always.  They keep me going!

12 responses to “Renewing My Youth

Thank you so much for the update Lana.
    A pity that there always seems to be a great deal of “experimentation” involved in coming to the right answer. But we have to recognise that, although the medical profession has made incredible strides, all is not yet known or apparent.
    You are in my prayers that the new medication will not only attack the cancer in the right way, but that you will have no negative symptoms in the process.
    Have a wonderful reunion with your high school class and I look forward to a very positive report when next you update all those who carry you in the prayers and hearts.
    Fond regards,

2. Jeanette says:

Psalm 105:41

HE opened up a rock, and water gushed out to form a river through the dry and barren land.

– God provided His people with water in a desert.
    – The rock was an unlikely source.
    – Yet out of the rock God brought water.
    – What are you facing where you need God to make a way?

PRAYER: Lord, Thank You that no matter what I may be facing, even there You are with me and You are able to cause provision to come from the most unlikely source in the most unlikely way. Amen.

3. Linda says:

Keep holding on to the word, it is our salvation. You are an inspiration to me. I will continue to pray with you.

Continuing to lift you and your family in prayer. Love and hugs to you all!

• Stewart M. says:

Hi Lana 🙂
      I read this scripture this morning and it had your name on it!
      Hang in there.
      God bless!!

It from This Day’s Thought

In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee.

Isaiah 54:14

My prayer for you is that this new medication works and has no side effects on you. I will continue to part for you and for your cancer to completely leave your body. I hope you have a wonderful time at your class reunion with all your friends. You are an amazing woman and a great inspiration to all. Gods blessings to you and your family.

• Judi Byrne says:

My prayers, Lana, are that the Doctors find out what is happening with your arm and your legs, that new new medication has no side effects, and that the Ibruprophen will help your pain, at least until the Doctor comes up with an alternative that doesn’t have the side effects you experienced. I still pray that you are cured from this cancer. I pray that God’s love and mercy continue to surround you, and that your Faith, Courage, Strength and WILL TO LIVE, continue! Thank you, Lana, for being a wonderful example for all of us who complain about our problems/health issues. Enjoy your Reunion! FULLY RELY ON GOD!

Judi Byrne

6. Teresa Porzelius says:

Jeff and I continue to pray for your faith, strength and healing. Also for Eric and the children.
    Thanks for being a “light” for Christ as you journey down this stormy path. You are such
    an inspiration to us all.

Enjoy you reunion!

Teresa Porzelius

7. Sara says:

Hi Lana

When I read people’s messages to you I realise they are all doing what it says in Galations 6 v 2. Bear one anothers burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ.
    I pray for you and your family and thank the Lord that He is giving you such strength and peace.
    Enjoy the reunion and God bless you.
    Sara

8. burrows1 says:

Hey Lana, i haven’t been checking emails lately so i’m just seeing your newest ones. I want to tell you of how excited i was driving home from work today, just me and Jesus! I was really having a celebration just thinking of God’s love and how He protects his children. Take joy in the scripture that says that He “perfects all that which concerns us”, He loves you lana and He has you on His agenda.