California, Here I Come!

on September 3, 2012

Hi from Montana!  We’ve just arrived at Eric’s sister’s house tonight on our way to California.  We’re taking our daughter Makari to start school there next week.  We’ve had a great trip so far seeing a horse auction and Mount Rushmore and of course, Wall Drug, where everyone seems to stop on their way out west.

Thanks for praying for me. My hemoglobin came up enough on its own that I didn’t have to have a blood transfusion before we left.  But it was still low enough that they recommended I take a shot of aranesp to increase the red blood cells. I’ve also recently been having a lot of bone pain, so I’ve been taking some stronger pain medication, which  causes nausea, so I was taking anti-nausea medicine (which causes… just kidding… actually I’m not just kidding but you know how that goes.). All to say, please send up some prayers for healing in my bones.  The last three days have actually been a lot better.  But during this painful episode I really had to fight the battle in my mind, thinking “Is this going to get worse? Should I really be going on this trip to California?  Are my bones going to break? Is the pain from the cancer or from the bone treatment, which also causes pain?  If I keep taking the pain medication, will I become addicted to it?” At times like this I really have to stay focused on the Word of God.  God’s Word, the Bible, has really helped me get through all of this.  I have an app on my phone from YouVersion.com that has the whole Bible on it in many different versions.  I love it because I can read it while waiting at the doctor’s offices, or waiting to pick up the kids at an event, or lying in bed contemplating my situation.  God’s Word always gives me hope.  During this recent painful episode, I was reading from Ephesians 6:10, reminding myself I’m in a battle and I need to keep my battle gear ready.  It says:

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.” (Ephesians 6:10-18 NIV84)

So I spend a lot of time praying.  Thankfully I have been feeling a lot better and decided to go on the trip.  I haven’t had to take the stronger pain medication for a couple days now, just ibuprofen from time to time.  I’m so thankful, but would still appreciate your prayers for healing from this bone pain.

Thank you too for praying for the blisters on my feet.  While my feet are still sensitive, the blisters are gone, and I’m more aware now when the chemo builds and I need to be more careful.

I also wanted to update you about my hair, just as an advance warning if you haven’t seen me recently.  It’s turned silvery-white in the last couple months.  I guess all the brown fell out and left just the gray.  When I look in the mirror, I have to look twice because I don’t recognize myself! I am starting to see some short dark hair grow back in.  Anyway, in case you see me, feel free to say, “Oh, my gosh, I can’t believe how gray your hair is!” I won’t be offended, because I can’t believe it either!  I’ve posted a picture Eric took of us in Wall, South Dakota last night, just to break in the new look.

Lana and kids in Wall, SD

That’s my update for now.  We’re here in Montana for a few days and then head west to California.  I’m glad I’m not traveling in a covered wagon on this trip, but still appreciate your prayers for my bones to remain strong, my hemoglobin to keep increasing, and the sensitivity in my hands and feet to subside.  (As long as I’m asking for prayer, you can also prayer for my left thumb which has gone numb from this chemo.  Thanks for letting me be super specific with you!  It’s just that I keep seeing God answer when I ask you to pray!)

Love to you all and a big “Thank you!” for helping me to fight this battle.

35 responses to “California, Here I Come!

1. janetkotecki@comcast.net says:

I think you look beautiful!!!

Janet Kotecki, Sales Director

janetkotecki@comcast.net

815.252.3872

What journey will you allow your life to take you on?

2. Stewart M. says:

Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the grey hair club. You wanna be president? Just kidding.
    Keep on keeping on. You’re in ‘my’ prayers.
    You are president of one club in my books. That is how to Never lose you faith and your peace club.
    God bless.
    S✞ew

3. Fred Thomas says:

Lana, you certainly are in my prayers. I can’t even imagine the impact this has had on you let alone your family. You are all in my prayers.

4. Nonie Bouzan says:

my heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you —-your family is beautiful—from Nonie at Saltspring Island in B C Can i feel I know you and i send you love in Jesus Christ our Lord

Praying for your bones to remain strong, your hemoglobin to keep increasing, and the sensitivity in your hands and feet to subside. Also praying for your left thumb which has gone numb from this chemo. May the Lord hold you in His arms and bring a healing to you and rid you of all the pain and cancer. God bless and watch over you always.

6. Sara says:

Lana, you have a beautiful family and our prayers continue for you, and all the physical symptoms you are experiencing. Praying for your family to be strong also. I agree with you totally about reading God’s word and digesting it. Through difficult times financially, sometimes plain scarey, I have learned to do just that. I survive on it. I made notes over the last four years and refer to the scriptures written there often, the secret riches in the darkness. God bless you and keep you. Sara xx

7. Sara says:

Sorry to come in again but I just read my daily reading and couldn’t believe the subject matter was about why we must read God’s word! The verses were from Proverbs 4:20, 21,22. (NIV) (I’m sure you know it but here goes) “My son (daughter), attend to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart, for they are life to those who find them, and health to one’s whole body.” S xx

8. Philip Derbyshire says:

Be blessed Lana, be blessed Eric. Love from England. X X

Dear Lana, you have never NOT been in my prayers – and being specific is wonderful because being too general is like too fuzzy for me. Also, if I know what the symptoms are then I know what to look out for in your next feedback report. As for the grey hair – it suits you. Most people who get chemo lose all their hair – so, I’m surprised that it is not happening to you. Have a great trip – thank you for the feedback. Take care, keep the faith and rest assured there are MANY, MANY of us out there who think of you more often than you suspect.
    With fond regards and prayers of healing,
    Mallorca Spain.

10. Nsaba Buturo says:

My sister in the Lord,

Thank you for the update. I am from Uganda. That is where I am writing this from. My first name is Nsabiyunva. It is shortened to Nsaba. What does it mean? I pray to God who always hears me, that is its meaning. That is my covenant with Him! By faith, I am believing that our God who has promised never to put to shame those who have hope in Him, has heard my prayers for your total healing! You are going to be a powerful witness to the rest of the world. Be strong and remain blessed. I am a regular recipient of your husband’s teaching. By the way, the picture is lovely. The glory must be the Lord’s!

In Christ Jesus,

Dr Nsaba Buturo

________________________________

11. Jayne says:

Specific prayers they are! God bless you and your family on this journey. I pray for your strength to follow God’s will. Miracles will happen. . .

12. allthewaydoc says:

The kids will be so excited to hear that your RBC are increasing. They pray faithfully every night for you. We shall add to our prayers. Have a great trip with your family. Im glad that you stepped out in faith and went!

13. Elaine Goerne says:

Lana, you look beautiful and happy:) Such an inspiration to all! May God continue to bless us with your wisdom and grace.

14. Mary Stalter says:

You are one of the strongest person’s I know, Lana. I pray for you every nite. Thanks for sharing your picture and your testimony. You and Eric have a beautiful family and testimony.

15. Leslie Yendro says:

I will keep the prayers coming. I hope your pain subsides soon. And you are looking very silver foxy! 🙂

16. jerona says:

You have an awesome sense of humor! I’m in continuous prayer for you and i’m trusting God for healing straight down to your thumb. Enjoy the rest of your trip and God bless you.

17. Carrie Brown says:

It was so great to read your update. Prayers continue for you. I think of you so often. Your family is so beautiful and of course, so are you. Don’t worry about the gray, we are all right there with you. Have a wonderful trip. Love, Carrie

18. Kathie says:

Thank you for the update Lana – I am praying for you. What a beautiful family you have! Praying most of all for a deep sense of the Lord’s presence with you and each one of your family. When we know we are with Him, all things are possible. Praying also for the specific prayer requests – and thank you so much for letting us know how you are doing.
    Love in Him

19. Renee Carter says:

Hey, Lana! Does the gray turn dark after a while? It works that way with my mom’s alopecia. Hers comes in white and turns back to its original color. But,the gray looks very sophisticated!! You look amazing and healthier! It’s been a while since I’ve seen you and I can tell a huge difference. We will pray for the bone pain and the numb thumb. Our Father is so amazing in how He cares for us. He knows all the details, even what is hidden from us. Romans 8:26 says,”In the same way, the spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.”–So, whatever is causing your bone pain, God knows and will fix it as He rebuilds His temple. Have a wonderful time with the family on your trip. Give Makari a big hug for us, too! We will miss her visits–the crazy kid! Love to you all in Christ Jesus our amazing Savior and Lord!

20. Jane Bisson says:

You continue to amaze me Lana, your courage your strength. You are such an example to us all, that’s when things get tough, we must rely on the Lord.
    I’m glad you feel that our prayers are helping you, and please be assured, you will be in my prayers. Be strong sweetheart, and don’t let the evil one distract you with thoughts that are not of the Lord.

21. Jim Bressner says:

Lana, That is such a good picture of you and the kids! I transferred it to my home screen on my phone! Every time I use my phone now, I will be reminded to lift you and your family up in prayer! Jim

22. Danny and Betty says:

Our prayers are with you, and you look beautiful with your SILVER hair and big smile. Love, Danny and Betty

23. Ramona Vasquez says:

Happy to hear you are up and about enjoying Family Times. I can identify with the hair color. My second time with cancer-sarcoma also left me with white cotton hair curly HAHA. I wear head scarves and I let it out once in awhile. I have to take a double take who is that. But I can tell you one thing, people think I’m an elderly woman, discounts, open the door for me. LOL The first time with Cancer Breast Cancer, I remember those burning feet, and hands affected, skin that wouldn’t stop itching. God, has been so good to me, experience supernatural happenings with my God, first time and second time. I believe I wouldn’t know him the way I do now. I pray that along your journey God will bless you in so much abundance of his LOVE and Care for you and a deeper place with him.

What a wonderful trip you will have! Will you go to the redwoods too? Those trees have heard some prayers for you and may like to see your face:)

25. Brenda Williams says:

Beautiful picture! Keeping you and prayer. You just don’t know how much you bless my heart. Much love and prayer.

Praying for you always, God Bless

27. dan says:

The family pic looks great; now we have a sneak peak of how your hair will look like when you hit 70!! We love road trips and so are glad God gave you (pl) this opportunity. Take more pics. We will pray as requested and look to our Lord God who is for ever faithful to us; us, the sheep of his pasture- ps 100

28. Liezl says:

Hi Lana Wow, you are such an amazing woman! Just 15 minutes ago, I emailed a friend at work to tell her to pray this every morning…. Put on the whole armor of God!Put on the helmet of salvation, the breastplate of rightousness, hold the sword of the spirit in my one hand and the shield of faith in the other, guard my waist with the belt of truth and shot my feet with the gospel of peace!!! And here is my confirmation!!!! Thank you! I pray that the pain in your bones will get better and disappear, in the name of our Father. Thank you, Father for your blood.

29. Karen says:

Lana
    I think you make gray look great!…I love the family pic…too bad Eric couldn’t be in the picture too…you look strong and healthy….Enjoy this family time, I bet Lucas wishes he was with all of you.
    I enjoyed a green pepper from your garden..thank you..
    I will be praying, and I love hearing and seeing what God is doing in and through you..

love
    karen

30. Teresa says:

I am so thankful that you feel well enough for the trip to California. It is one your family will
    cherish for years to come.
    You are still adorable as ever – even with gray hair. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Teresa and Jeff

31. Laurel WEbster says:

I was just searching the internet for the question. Does God really want to heal us?
    This came up hopefaithprayer.com/scripture/healing-scriptures-dodie-osteen/. This woman
    was healed of cancer. These are sciptures she stood on. I know you must have lists of
    scriptures also, these were about the most inclusive ones I have seen.
    Praying for you.
    Love Laurel Webster

32. Michelle says:

Lana, you are strong, strong, strong in the power of God’s might. Nothing is impossible for God. Yes God wants to heal you. Jesus, please touch my sister Lana and heal her bones! Bring her to a spacious place of complete health and peace. I am praying for you.

Michelle

33. Elvira Brooks says:

Lana, You look beautiful. I know God is working here. You give me hope with your messages and scripture. My friend Shelley just had a breast removed yesterday. I also have another friend Amy who is going through radiation. It is so hard to be strong for them. I sometimes deal with depression and so the battle is on. Your words to put on our armor are so meaningful. We need to never forget the word of God is so powerful. Blessings to you and praying for your healing and a wonderful trip.

34. Josephine Rakabikabi says:

I enjoy reading sermons and bible study notes by your husband which I receive in my email. I live in Fiji, a tiny dot on the map in the South Pacific ocean. I have been encouraged by your testimony and I marvel at the way you are handling the “battle” you are going through. Reminds of Job, with all he went through he accepted the difficulties as part of God’s will in his life (Psalm 119:75). Praying for you! I also have a friend who has been diagnosed with a rare disease, and she is in America right now on furlough and getting medical treatment. I’m praying for you both. May you both have God’s perfect peace at this time of need.

Sister in Christ Josephine