In Loving Memory

on November 17, 2012

Lana J. (Olivero) Elder
1963-2012

Lana on Mother’s Day, May 13, 2012

Lana J. (Olivero) Elder, 48, of Chenoa, passed away peacefully at her home on Thursday, November 15, 2012, surrounded by family and friends. Lana was born on December 25th, 1963, to John and Lorraine (Wargo) Olivero in Peru, Illinois, and was surely the best Christmas present they received that year.  Lana grew up in Peru, Illinois, graduating from La Salle-Peru High School in 1982.

After high school, Lana went on to earn a business degree from the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign in 1986, where she also met her future husband, Eric P. Elder of Chenoa, Illinois.  After college, Lana moved to Flint Michigan to work as a Systems Analyst for Electronic Data Systems.  She later moved to Houston, Texas, where she worked with Eric in the computer department of Texaco, Inc., and soon after married Eric in Houston on April 29, 1989.  Lana continued to work at Texaco until the birth of their first child, when she decided to dedicate her full time to raising and homeschooling all of their six children.

Lana was a strong believer in Christ and brought much peace, joy and hope to many people in her everyday life and through her family’s ministry at theranch.org.  Her smile was radiant and her spirit soared, bringing joy to everyone she met. She had a passion for studying the word of God, and always took strength from the verse that says “those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint” (Isaiah 40:31). Through her life and her testimony, many people came to know Jesus. She touched so many lives and brought so many people to know and love our Lord. Her words of encouragement, hope and love were shown through her everyday life and in her written words. Lana’s grace, strength and strong desire to live her life to the fullest was demonstrated even to the end of her battle with Stage 4 breast cancer.

Lana was a loving wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend to all. She was actively involved in several homeschool associations, encouraging other families who also chose to homeschool their children. She loved serving in the church with children and youth and was a huge inspiration and role model in their lives. To them she was always just “one of the kids.” Lana’s desire has always been that people would find comfort in the Savior who had comforted her and that they would always Believe in His love for them and His unique purpose for their life. While our hearts ache at the lack of her presence with us, we rejoice knowing she is with the Savior she loved, resting in the palm of God’s hand.

Lana is survived by her devoted husband, Eric, and their six beautiful children: Karis (21), Lucas (20), Makari (18), Josiah (14), Bo (12) and Kaleo (9).  Lana is also survived by many loving family members, including her mother, Lorraine (Wargo) Olivero of Peru; eight brothers and sisters: John Paul Olivero of Peru, Lisa Olivero of Ladd, Laurie (Steve) Landsman of Willowbrook, Mark (Laura) Olivero of Fort Wayne, IN, Linda Olivero of Springfield, Tom (Wendy) Olivero of Utica, Lucy Olivero of Chicago and Luke (Jeanna) Olivero of La Salle; and twelve nieces and nephews.  Lana was preceded in death by her loving father, John Olivero of Peru.

A celebration of Lana’s life will be held at 1 pm on Tuesday, November 20 at Eastview Christian Church in Normal, Illinois.  A visitation will also be held at the church from 5-8 pm on Monday, November 19, and again before the service from 12-1 pm Tuesday, November 20. While Lana supported many worthy causes in her life, the cause in which she most heavily invested was her family.  Although gifts are not necessary, we believe she would be most honored if any gifts were made, that they be given simply to the family of Lana Elder, 25615 E 3000 North Rd, Chenoa, IL 61726.

21 responses to “In Loving Memory

1. krndrcksn@yahoo.co.uk says:

We love you Lana! U inspired us to be stroinger in our faith and love for our Father .Your courage humbled us.you go on living in your children.
    We rejoice that you are healed and with Jesus now. God be with your family in this time!
    With love from a mother of five! Karen,South Africa
    Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom – let your email find you!

I thank God for having met Lana online during her battle with cancer, and she had taught me what means to live The Lord with all my heart, mind, strength and soul. She has shown me that God loves us in all situations, good or bad. She demonstrated the word of God in Romans 8:35; “what shall separate us from the love of Christ….’ Even though I never met her in person, I feel her passing greatly but I know I will see her at The Lord’s table in Jesus’ name. May God comfort you all and may you never forget the legacy of love she left for us all. May you be strengthened and encouraged in The Lord at this time of your great loss.
    Remain blessed in Him.
    Taiwo.
    Maryland.

3. Shirley Paul says:

To Eric and Lana’s family
    I pray… that God who gives you hope, will keep you happy and full of peace as you believe in Him. Romans 15:13.
    I am so glad to have known of Lana’s amazing love for the Lord as she fully trusted in Him. Her thoughts were always of others, praying for them and believing without wavering that God is in control. Faith like that reaches out and prompts me to fully trust our God for everything, no matter what.
    I pray for God’s grace and peace for you all.
    Shirley
    Southampton, England

4. Jayne says:

May she rest in the arms of the Lord forever.

5. Connie Anest says:

Your blog helped me get through my 14 year old daughters cancer. I never told you that, but I know that now you do. I pray your children might, might, find some comfort in knowing how many you helped. Rest In Pease, sweet Lana.

Rest in peace Lana – an all to short, but full life, lived as an example to the world at large. May every member of your family find comfort in knowing that you were a glowing beacon of the love of God.

7. Roger says:

My, our, deepest condolences and sympathy to Eric and all the family. Life can become such a war as we live on ground in which our sworn enemy is entrenched. With so much to live for it might be hard to comprehend such a loss but I would suggest it is not in the living that we give the best back to God, it is in our death and our steadfast loyalty to His Commands of Faith, Love and Fidelity to Him through all we do. “Nothing” puts that to the test as something so fraught with unfairness and loss as the death of a Christian loved one! Lana Elder is a warrior that God is proud of and her commitment to live soundly all that He asked is testimony to His Spirit within her human frame. Trumpets will sound upon her arrival as she rises to be with Him but that won’t stem the pain of her loss to those remaining. One can live as she did to honor her courage and fortitude, that is homage to Her great battle. God Speed … and God Bless and comfort those whom she loved so much as to fight this good and great battle for and keep them close.

8. Debbie Looney says:

My sincere thoughts and prayers are with all of Lana’s family. I feel like i know you all personally. My heart is saddend by her loss but we all know that she is in the great and mighty hands of savior rejoicing with no pain. Your family is an inspiration and testimony to the world. May God bless and comfort you at this time, for I know she will be truly missed. Love and Prayers for all of you. In that great triumph morning we will see our mighty savior

9. Jonathan UK says:

If a life can be measured by the effect it has had on others, this life surely merits the words, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant”

10. Bola says:

I was saddened when i read about Lana’s death but consoled because she has gone to be with her Lord and above all gone to rest from the troubles of this world. She was a great woman of faith who had a strong faith that she would live on, and now she lives on…… Her life taught me a great lesson about prayer as a strong weapon to turn around situations and faith in God. My condolences to Eric Elder, her children and the entire family she left behind, take solace in God because it pleases Him to call her home at this time, rejoice for you shall see her again on the resurrection day.

11. Chris & Lisa Weber says:

Eric, our hearts are breaking with you. Love you very much. Chris & Lisa Weber, Houston, Texas
    The Bereans: family forever.

12. Barbara Blair-Galligan says:

Thank God for a mighty woman of God, Lana Elder I have followed her messages left on line and continually prayed for her and the family . I will continue to pray for the family that the Lord will comfort and strengthen them . May their testimonies bring many people into to Kingdom of God . They are Loved dearly . You are all in my thought’s and prayers may God Bless you all. Absent in the body present with the Lord x from Barbara Galligan

13. marta says:

May your soul rest in peace Lana Elder, and may God who knows how to heal and console be with Eric and family during this trying moment.

14. Michael Masembe says:

Reading from Lana kept me expecting to read more the next day, but now no more!
    I thank God for having met Lana online, that was the time when also my late sister Harriet was down with cancer, and she taught me to be strong and to trust in the Lord.
    Through this period, stay strong in the Lord for He knows all about it and He has a better plan for you all as a family.
    Remain blessed in Him.
    Michael
    Uganda

15. jerona says:

Wow! lana, i never knew you personally but i feel like i did. I’m so sorry to hear of your passing but i know that you’re in Jesus’ arms and oh, what strong arms they are!!! You have helped to build my faith like you’ll never know, you were a warrior in our family, God’s family. I pray that the peace of our God envelopes your family like never before and that they never forget how strong and loving a person you were. So long my sister until that great meeting day!

16. I just heard of Lana’s passing. Lana allowed a number of us to share time and space with her while we all attended L-P and University of Illinois. What a beautiful and wonderful woman! What an awesome family. Her passing hurts me, but the memories are ones i will cherish. Most sincerely, Gary Mueller, Class of 82.

17. Ria Jooste , Canada says:

It was a privilage to read Lana’s blog and to follow her journey. She was diagnosed allmost the same time as our son (11) who was diagnosed with Grade 2 braincancer. We prayed for her often and learned a lot from her experiences. She became a part of our own experiences. God has been so good to us and I know He will never leave nor forsake you that are left behind.
    So thankfull that you as a family know Him and cling to Him. God bless you all and we pray that He will fill her empty place with His love.

18. Kathryn Sawyer says:

May God’s healing hand be upon you all now. Thinking of you all and keeping you in my prayers.

19. Coco High says:

My prayers are with this beautiful family of God, I read my daily devotional “daily” and it inspires me, and in times like these, it’s time for us to inspire them. May God continue his loving peace and kindness over the Elder Family, in the meantime, we continue to pray for strength.

20. Feyi says:

Peace like a river is sure attending her way now! It is well

21. Henry says:

Have been away from internet for a while and my emails piled. Have just seen this blog entry emailed to me over a month ago.
    Never met Lana but know how she looks, to me she has been as real as any other person i have met.
    I have been transfixed this morning reading about her passing, have been encouraged by the testimony of the cerebration service.
    God bless you Mr. Eric Elder for your Daily devotional and your work and support of your entire family. Thank you.
    I dont know what to say that would make a difference. May God minister to you every day as you have been faithfully ministering to others(Christian strangers like me) for many years.
    Lana will be missed.